Hedgehogs (Reception) 2023 - 2024
Welcome to Hedgehog Class...
...where everyone can 'Let Their Light Shine' (Matthew 5:16)...
"Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young,
but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."
1 TIMOTHY 4:12
Hedgehog class is one of the two reception classes which start your child's schooling journey. Reception is a special year to teach as we have the privilege of experiencing your child’s ‘firsts’, such as their first day at school, first Nativity play and first sports day. We might be the smallest people in the school but we make sure we pack a lot into our first year!
As the Bible quote above shows, just because you are small does not mean you do not have a voice. We encourage the children to always speak up for what they believe in, follow our Christian values and challenge themselves every day. Please see the tabs at the top of the page and the files at the bottom for more information about life in our class.
The children say:
“We love learning outside and inventing in the mud kitchen!”
“I like the play-doh table and listening to stories with my friends.”
“My favourite thing is phonics!”
In our class:
- We play and learn together.
- We have kind hands.
- We use kind words.
- We like to hug.
- We always share.
- We listen to each other.
Our school Christian Values:
- Joy and Celebration
EYFS curriculum at Tarporley CE:
As a church school, we approach all that we do through our Christian Values which are embedded throughout our curriculum. We follow the statutory Early Years Foundation Stage Framework and have designed a curriculum which ensures all our children are able to ‘let their light shine’ (Matthew 5:16) Our class curriculum map for the year can be found at the bottom of our class page. The whole school follows the BOOKS approach:
- BRAVERY- our curriculum sets high expectations of all learners. We encourage our children to be brave, take risks and show resilience in the face of challenges. The characteristics of effective learning are embedded in our classroom as we help our children to play and explore, become active learners and think critically.
- OUTWARD FACING- we learn about the world beyond our school. We encourage our children to see themselves as part of a global community which can affect change through courageous advocacy (please see the tab at the top of the page for more information).
- OPPORTUNITIES- we create memories! We want the children’s time in reception to instil a life-long love of learning and make sure that new knowledge sticks. Our ambitious curriculum provides learning inside and outside of the classroom and recognises the importance of cultural capital in preparing children for life beyond school.
- KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING- knowledge is key. We have a progressive EYFS curriculum that ensures all children can achieve by giving them the knowledge and skills to thrive in the next stage of their learning.
- SPIRITUALITY- our classroom ethos is led by our Christian values. EYFS staff nuture the whole child by developing their social, moral, cultural and spiritual well-being.
This half term we are reading:
- Mad About Minibeasts (Poetry)
- The Pirates are Coming! By John Condon
Once a half term our Reception classroom and fantastic outdoor learning spaces will be opened up for younger members of the community to come and enjoy an interactive storytime with their parents or family members. Each session will last for 1 hour and there will be juice and biscuits for the children and a well-deserved cup of tea for the adults. This is a fantastic opportunity for children to spend time over the year with EYFS staff and become familiar with the school environment. This makes transition to school a much smoother process with the children already confident in the classroom.